Fall is the perfect season for using both apples and cranberries in desserts, dips, and jellies. Why not combine them in a delicious spread with this delightful ‘butter’ recipe?
Cranberry-Apple Butter: Slow Cooker Style
- 16 to 20 fresh apples (the amount really depends on the size of your slow cooker); peeled, cored, and sliced
- about 12 oz. fresh cranberries
- ground cinnamon
- ground cloves
- 6 to 8 pint jars depending on size of crock pot
- Set slow cooker to high.
- Add cranberries to slow cooker.
- Add apple slices to pot until full.
- Place lid on top and cook for 18 hours.
- Add about 3 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. cloves.
- Stir well.
- Replace lid and cook for 4 more hours.
- Have jars ready, and as soon as done spoon apple butter into jars.
- Screw on lids and rings, and let cool on counter.
- The heat from the apple butter will be enough to seal the jars.