Cranberry-Apple Butter: Slow Cooker Style

This post may include affiliate links. Your use of these links helps to maintain this site and to provide for my family. Thank you for your encouragement and support! Please view my Disclosure to learn more.

Cranberry Apple Butter: Slow Cooker Style www.southerntestkitchen.com #fallrecipes Fall is the perfect season for using both apples and cranberries in desserts, dips, and jellies. Why not combine them in a delicious spread with this delightful ‘butter’ recipe?

Cranberry-Apple Butter: Slow Cooker Style

Ingredients

• 16 to 20 fresh apples (the amount really depends on the size of your slow cooker); peeled, cored, and sliced
  • about 12 oz. fresh cranberries
  • sugar
  • ground cinnamon
  • ground cloves
  • 6 to 8 pint jars depending on size of crock pot

Instructions

1. Set slow cooker to high.
  2. Add cranberries to slow cooker.
  3. Add apple slices to pot until full.
  4. Place lid on top and cook for 18 hours.
  5. Add about 3 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. cloves.
  6. Stir well.
  7. Replace lid and cook for 4 more hours.
  8. Have jars ready, and as soon as done spoon apple butter into jars.
  9. Screw on lids and rings, and let cool on counter.
  10. The heat from the apple butter will be enough to seal the jars.
This post is linked up with Hearts for Home Blog Hop #40 and Weekend Potluck: October 25-27!

I will be attending The Teach Them Diligently Convention- Atlanta this year. Click on the image below to view details and register for a location near you! TTD Banner 2015 venues
Your coffee can change her life!

Comments

1. says

This looks delicious and I am sure it smells amazing! I am featuring you on my blog for the Hearts for Home Blog hop this upcoming Thursday. Have a great weekend!

2. says

How many apples typically? Since I just became unemployed I thought this might be a nice gift for friends for the holidays. A little something that won’t break the bank.

3. Deanna A says

This would be fabulous, but there are no amounts listed. Pleas fill in the blanks. how many apples? how much sugar? Spices? how long to cook in cooker?

• says

I did not list amounts because it really depends on the size of your slow cooker. For mine I think I used about 20 apples. You may use fewer or more depending on the size of your slow cooker.

4. candy kouse says

I would like to know what kind of apple do you use for this apple butter. It sound really good going to try it.

• Wendy Woerner says

Candy, for this recipe I just used what I had, which I believe was a mixture of granny smith and (maybe) McIntosh. I personally think any would work, though you may need to add more sugar if you use all tart apples. Does that help? Thanks for stopping in!

5. Melissa says

Can’t wait to try this! How should finished jars be stored (refrigerated, pantry, etc) and how long will it keep?

• Wendy Woerner says

I store mine in the pantry, and we still have some we are using. They are fine so far. You may want to research how long to keep canned items, because I am not sure, to be honest. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

6. Heather says

I started my crockpot yesterday very excited to try this out. I woke up this morning to a crusty burnt mess. I still had 3 hours left to go before adding sugar. My crockpot must run really hot on high. Any suggestions?

• Wendy Woerner says

Are you using a larger than average crock pot? Possibly that is the cause. :/ I’m sorry this happened to you. I would say add more apples until they are all the way to the top and then, maybe, set it to low half-way through cooking? I really don’t know the solution since this did not happen to me. Let me know if either of these suggestions helps!

• Wendy Woerner says

I have not tried freezing it myself, but it might be worth a try. You could place it in a really good quality freezer bag and see what happens. Let me know if you do it how it turns out!

Trackbacks